Grapefruit seed extract (GSE) is a liquid derived from the seeds, pulp, and white membranes of grapefruit. Natural GSE is processed without solvents or synthetic agents and is prepared by grinding the grapefruit seed and juiceless pulp, then mixing with glycerin. GSE is sold as a food supplement and used in cosmetics because it is a claimed natural antimicrobial. - wikipedia.org
Outlined here are some of the greatest uses for grapefruit seed extract and a list of very simple to administer recipes.
- Possible anti-cancer properties.
- Possible cholesterol-lowering properties due to the presence of the flavanoid naringin (a well-known plasma lipid reducer and plasma antioxidant activator).
- Evironmentally-friendly fruit and vegetable wash for removing toxins.
- Effective preventative for Candida and other forms of yeast infection.
- Inhibits the formation of harmful intestinal organisms, including Giardia, without reducing levels of healthy bowel flora.
- May reduce chances of developing coronary heart disease in high-risk patients due to high pectin content in Grapefruit seed extract.
- Possible antibiotic.
- Aids to alkalize the body, and is one of the world's most alkaline forming foods, helping to stabilize acidic pH levels, a central component for health rejuvenation.
- Great general immune system booster. -globalhealingcenter.com
- Antiviral and anti-fungal agent.
- Powerful natural antiseptic.
- Promotes the healing of wounds and scar tissue.
- Excellent remedy for toenail fungal infections.
Thoroughly splash, or moisten face with water (either cool or warm is fine).
With hands still wet apply 1-2 drops of extract to your fingertips and massage into skin using a circular motion. Rinse thoroughly after use and pat dry. You may notice a minor tingling sensation afterwards. This is the deep cleansing properties of the grapefruit seed extract.
Skin Rinse (For very minor skin irritations)
Dilute extract with water (about 1-2 drops per tablespoon). Apply this solution directly to irritated area of the skin twice daily. If additional irritation continues discontinue immediately and seek the advice of your physician.
Dilute extract with water or alcohol (1-3 drops per tablespoon).
Apply this solution directly on the surface of the nail along the cuticle and underneath the front of the nail. Or soak nails twice daily for as long as needed
Add 2-3 drops of extract to each shampooing. Massage into scalp and leave on for a minimum of 2 minutes. Rinse of thoroughly and be cautious not to get in eyes.
This may also be used without shampoo.
Stir 2-4 drops of extract into a glass of water. Immerse toothbrush for 15 minutes. Be sure to rinse toothbrush before using. Change water and remix every 2-3 days.
(Sink Washing) Add 20 or more drops of extract into a sink full of cold water. Briefly soak any vegetables, meats fruits, or poultry.
- (Spray Washing) Add 20 drops per 32oz bottle of water with sprayer pump. Shake thoroughly and spray on any vegetables, meats, fruits, or poultry. Rinse when done.
Dish & Utensil Cleaner
Add 10-20 drops of extract to sink dishwashing water or to final rinse. You may do the same for dishwashers.
Cutting Board Cleaner
Apply 5-10 drops of extract to cutting board and work into entire board with a wet sponge or dishcloth. Leave on for at least 30 minutes. Rinse with water before using.
All Purpose Cleaner
Add 15-30 drops of extract to any 32 oz pump sprayer filled with your favorite cleanser or this can be added just to water. Use on all surfaces of the house. -mountainroseherbs.com
Do not put in eyes and do not use in its undiluted form.